There Is Water in My Home. What Do I Do Now?
Whether this is your first time experiencing water damage or your twelfth, it is important to keep in mind that acting fast in getting it resolved is vital and can prevent problems from arising in the future. SERVPRO of North Elmwood Park has water damage specialists ready to help you get your space dried correctly and carefully. Here are some useful tips to use at the first notice of water damage:
- If possible, locate and shut off the source of water. If you are unable to, contact a qualified party, such as a plumber, to come stop the water source.
- Try to remove as much excess water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels. Never use a vacuum.
- Place wooden blocks or aluminum foil under the legs of furniture that is on wet carpet. This helps minimize the water damage affecting your fixtures.
- Move belongings, such as painting, computers, important documents, or anything not yet affected by the water to a dry location.
- Do not enter the affected spaces if there are live outlets, switches, or electrical equipment exposed to the water. Keep your distance from electrical shock hazards.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures, such as lights or fans, if there is water damage in the ceiling, especially if the ceiling is sagging.
If you have water or flood damage in your home or commercial space, give SERVPRO of North Elmwood Park a call at (708) 483-8636. We want to help you.