The Weather Outside is Frightful
Winter. You either love it or hate. While snow is beautiful and puts us in the holiday spirit, there have been winters in the past where it was a little too extreme. Snow storms are a big reality for us in the Chicagoland area and they have potential to do large amounts of damage, as much as a storm during the warmer months. We at SERVPRO of North Elmwood Park would like to share some tips for protecting you and your home according to the American Red Cross.
- Prevent pipes from freezing by opening doors and cabinets where they are to expose them to the houses heat. Letting water run through pipes can also prevent them from freezing.
- Double check that your heat source is clean and in proper working condition.
- Cover windows with a plastic layer to provide an extra layer of insulation to keep heat from escaping out of cracks.
- Consider purchasing an emergency heater and a portable generator in case you lose power.
- Have an emergency kit with food, water, medication, and medical supplies.
We can’t control the weather but if you have water damage from frozen pipes and snow melting or you roof collapsing from snow, call us. We have 24/7 emergency services here to help you.